1Energy Systems is developing Modular Energy Storage Architecture (MESA) technologies in partnership with Snohomish County PUD, Alstom Grid, the University of Washington and future MESA partners.
Key MESA goals are:
- Giving electric utilities more choice, by enabling multi-vendor, component-based energy storage systems.
- Standardizing electrical and communication interfaces among battery, power conversion and software components.
- Enabling a robust energy storage market, where component suppliers can reach more customers while focusing on their core competencies.
- Working with industry standards organizations to publish MESA specifications and make key MESA technologies available in the public domain.
In the initial MESA project, 1Energy Systems will:
- Provide software and system engineering.
- Lead selection of future MESA partners providing batteries, power conversion and other components.
- Deploy a one-megawatt (1 MW) MESA energy storage system at a Snohomish PUD substation.