Transforming a small house into a functional, comfortable haven is often seen as challenging. However, with the right approach and clever solutions, you can significantly improve your living spaces and their utility.
This post will provide 17 affordable home improvement ideas specially tailored for compact houses to help maximize their potential. So proceed ahead; unlock secrets to transforming your small abode beautifully!
17 Home Improvement Ideas For Small Houses
Here are 17 home improvement ideas for small houses that will transform your space into a functional and stylish haven.
1) Paint with Cool Neutral Hues
Cool neutral hues are great to use in small houses. These colors can make rooms seem larger and brighter. You will love how soft blues, grays, and whites open up your space. It’s a cheap fix that gives big results! Plus, it’s easy to add pops of color with decorations on top of these calm shades at any time.
This home upgrade idea is perfect for all sizes of wallets too! So go ahead and grab that paintbrush right now!
2) Decorate with Large-Scale Art
Big art can make a room look larger. It tricks the eye into thinking the space is bigger. Choose a large piece of art that you love. Hang it on your wall for all to see.
This touch will draw eyes and bring color to your home. It can also show off your style. You don’t need to spend big bucks on this upgrade either! Look at thrift stores or online sales for good deals on large-scale art pieces.
3) Add Wood Trim to the Ceilings
Adding wood trim to your ceilings is a great idea. This tip can create a stylish look for your small house. Here are some key points:
- Start with picking the right kind of wood.
- Choose a color that matches the rest of your home.
- Get a pro to do it if you’re not good with tools.
- It’s an affordable home upgrade.
- The trim can hide any cracks or lines on the ceiling.
- Your home will look warm and cozy with this touch.
- If done well, it can make your ceiling seem higher, too.
4) Install Recessed and Track Lighting
To make your small house feel brighter and more spacious, consider installing recessed and track lighting. Here are some reasons why it’s a great idea:
- Recessed lighting: These lights are installed flush with the ceiling, providing a clean and streamlined look. They can be strategically placed to highlight certain areas of your home or create an overall ambient glow.
- Track lighting: This type of lighting consists of multiple adjustable fixtures attached to a track on the ceiling or wall. It allows you to direct light exactly where you need it, whether it’s for highlighting artwork or illuminating a specific task area.
- Both recessed and track lighting help to eliminate bulky floor or table lamps, freeing up valuable space in your small home.
- By having these types of lighting fixtures installed, you can create layered lighting effects that enhance the overall ambiance of your living space.
- Recessed and track lighting contribute to a modern and minimalist aesthetic, which can make your small house feel more open and airy.
5) Feature a Skylight
Letting in natural light is a great way to make your small house feel more spacious and open. One way to achieve this is by featuring a skylight. Skylights can be installed in various areas of your home, such as the living room, kitchen, or bathroom.
They not only bring in more natural light but also provide an added sense of openness and beauty. With a skylight, you can enjoy the benefits of daylight while saving on electricity costs.
It’s an affordable and effective way to enhance the overall ambiance of your small house while maximizing its potential for comfort and functionality.
6) Put in a Glass Shower Stall
Want to make your small bathroom feel more spacious? Consider putting in a glass shower stall. Here’s why:
- Glass shower stalls create the illusion of more space, making your bathroom appear larger.
- They allow natural light to flow through, brightening up the space.
- Glass is easy to clean and maintain, saving you time and effort.
- Installing a glass shower stall can be a cost – effective way to upgrade your bathroom.
- It adds a modern and sleek look to your bathroom decor.
7) Hang Curtains High
Hang your curtains high to create the illusion of a taller ceiling and make your small house feel more spacious. By mounting the curtain rods closer to the ceiling, you draw the eyes upwards and create height in the room.
This simple trick can make a big difference in how your space looks and feels. Plus, it allows more natural light to enter through the windows, making your home brighter and airy. So go ahead and elevate those curtains for an instant upgrade!
8) Lighten the Floors
Make your small house feel brighter and more spacious by lightening the floors. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Use light-colored flooring materials such as white or light gray tiles, hardwood, or laminate.
- Opt for a glossy finish on the floors to reflect more light and create a sense of openness.
- Choose rugs and carpets in lighter hues to brighten up the space.
- Consider installing large windows or skylights near the floor to let in natural light and make the floors appear even brighter.
9) Maximize Your Outdoor Space
Make the most of your outdoor space by utilizing it effectively. Create a cozy and functional outdoor area where you can relax and entertain guests. You can add seating options like chairs, benches, or even a small table to enjoy meals al fresco.
Consider adding potted plants, hanging baskets or window boxes for some greenery and color. If you have limited space, vertical gardening is a great option to maximize your plantings without taking up too much room.
Don’t forget about lighting! Adding string lights or lanterns can create a warm and inviting ambiance in the evenings. With these simple changes, you can transform your outdoor space into an extension of your home, providing you with additional living space to enjoy all year round.
10) Open Up Your Kitchen Storage
Is your small kitchen lacking in storage space? Here are some ideas to help you open up your kitchen and create more room for all your essentials:
- Install open shelving: Remove upper cabinet doors and replace them with open shelves. This will not only make your kitchen feel more spacious but also give you easy access to your dishes and cookware.
- Use wall-mounted racks: Hang pots, pans, and utensils on a wall-mounted rack instead of taking up valuable cabinet space. This will free up room in your cabinets for other items.
- Utilize the inside of cabinet doors: Attach hooks or small shelves to the inside of your cabinet doors to store spices, measuring cups, or other small items.
- Add a pegboard: Mount a pegboard on the wall and use it to hang cooking utensils, cutting boards, and other kitchen tools. This will keep them within reach while freeing up drawer space.
- Invest in stackable containers: Store dry goods like pasta, rice, and snacks in stackable containers that can be easily stacked on top of each other to maximize vertical space in your pantry or cabinets.
- Install a magnetic knife strip: Instead of using a bulky knife block that takes up counter space, mount a magnetic knife strip on the wall to keep your knives organized and easily accessible.
- Use clear storage bins: Group similar items together in clear storage bins so you can easily see what’s inside without rummaging through cabinets. Label the bins for even more organization.
- Hang a pot lid organizer: Keep pot lids organized by installing a pot lid organizer on the inside of a cabinet door or mounting it on the side of a cabinet.
11) Add Built-In Shelves in Awkward Nooks and Crannies
Transform the unused spaces in your small home by adding built-in shelves. These shelves are perfect for awkward nooks and crannies that often go unused. Not only will they provide extra storage, but they can also serve as a decorative element in your home. Here are some key benefits of adding built-in shelves:
- Utilize wasted space effectively.
- Display books, decorative items, or plants.
- Create a focal point in small and overlooked areas.
- Maximize storage without taking up floor space.
- Customize the design to fit your style and needs.
12) Use Lots of Mirrors
Mirrors can be your best friend when it comes to small house renovations. They create the illusion of more space and make a room look brighter. By strategically placing mirrors around your home, you can make it feel larger and more open.
Consider hanging mirrors on walls opposite windows to reflect natural light and give the impression of another window. You can also place mirrors in narrow hallways or tight corners to visually expand the area.
Whether it’s a large statement mirror or a smaller decorative one, incorporating mirrors into your home will help maximize its potential without breaking the bank.
13) Embellish the Entrance
To make a great first impression, it’s important to embellish the entrance of your small house. You can start by adding some potted plants or flowers near the doorway for a pop of color and freshness.
Another idea is to hang an attractive wreath on the front door that matches your home’s style. You could also consider updating your house number plaque or mailbox with something more modern or artistic.
These small touches can instantly elevate the curb appeal of your home and make it feel more welcoming to guests and yourself every time you come home.
14) Add Some Greenery
Bring a touch of nature into your small house by adding some greenery. Plants not only enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home but also provide numerous benefits. They improve air quality by filtering pollutants and releasing oxygen, creating a healthier living environment for you and your family.
Additionally, plants can add visual interest to any space, making it feel more vibrant and alive. Whether you opt for low-maintenance succulents or statement-making indoor trees, there are plenty of options to choose from that will suit your space and personal style.
So go ahead, bring in some potted plants or hang a few planters on the walls to give your small house an instant boost of freshness and beauty.
15) Have Carpets Professionally Cleaned
Keep your carpets fresh and clean by having them professionally cleaned. This will help remove dirt, stains, and odors from your carpets, making your home look and smell better. Professional carpet cleaning is a cost-effective way to maintain the life of your carpets and improve the overall cleanliness of your home.
Hiring a professional ensures that you get a deep and thorough cleaning that can be difficult to achieve with regular vacuuming. Plus, it saves you time and effort! So, schedule a professional carpet cleaning service today to give your small house a fresh and inviting look.
16) Install a Bathroom Vent Fan
Installing a bathroom vent fan is a great way to improve air circulation and prevent mold and mildew in your small house. Here are some reasons why you should consider installing a bathroom vent fan:
- Reduces moisture: A bathroom vent fan helps to remove excess moisture from the air, which can lead to mold and mildew growth. By keeping humidity levels in check, you can prevent damage to your walls, ceilings, and fixtures.
- Improves air quality: Ventilation is important for maintaining good indoor air quality. A bathroom vent fan helps to remove odors, pollutants, and allergens that can accumulate in a small space.
- Prevents condensation: Without proper ventilation, warm moist air can come into contact with cool surfaces like mirrors and windows, causing condensation. A vent fan helps to reduce condensation and keep your bathroom dry.
- Enhances comfort: Using a bathroom vent fan during showers or baths can help to control temperature and humidity levels, creating a more comfortable environment for you and your family.
- Energy-efficient: Many modern bathroom vent fans are designed to be energy-efficient, consuming less electricity while still effectively removing moisture from the air.
- Easy installation: Installing a bathroom vent fan is relatively simple and can be done as a DIY project or by hiring a professional if needed. There are various models available on the market to suit different budgets and needs.
17) Upgrade a Small Appliance
One way to improve your small house is by upgrading a small appliance. This can make a big difference in the functionality and efficiency of your home. For example, you could upgrade your old microwave to a newer model with more features and settings.
Or, if you have limited counter space, consider replacing your bulky toaster oven with a compact and stylish toaster that takes up less room. By investing in these small upgrades, you can enhance the overall convenience and aesthetics of your small house without breaking the bank.
These 17 home improvement ideas for small houses can help you transform your space into a cozy and functional home. From adding wood trim to the ceilings to maximizing outdoor space, there are plenty of budget-friendly upgrades you can make.
So don’t let the size of your household you back – get creative and start making improvements today!